Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Quick Post

It's Wednesday -- nearly one week (well, 9 days) of the school year left!

Can I just say I so enjoy teaching. It can be very stressful -- but subbing is totally the way to go if you're a YA writer like me. For every cranky sixth grader, there's a charming kindergartener ready with a hug and a hand-drawn card that says stuff like, "I love you forever, Miss K."

The older kids, who know what I do at my "other" job always ask about what I'm writing. You can just see the spark of possibility in their eyes -- that thought that maybe they might one day write or follow their dreams. But when I say dreams, I actually mean goals.

Dreams are different from goals. I mean, I dream of vacationing on a sandy tropical beach -- am I saving money for the plane ticket? Researching tiki huts? Waxing my surfboard? (Okay, so I don't have a surfboard, duh!) No. That's a dream. A fantasy. Would be nice, but still...

Writing for publication -- making a good living with words -- that is my goal. So, I work at it. Take the lumps that come. Get better. Get braver. Keep going. Repeat. Grow. Change. Learn.

The difference between goals and dreams is action. Be active, people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home