Saturday, April 08, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Whew! I tackled the dreaded desk yesterday with excellent results. I now have a beautiful, if not intimidatingly clean, desk.

There were oodles of old story pieces that needed to be filed. In between dusting and sorting, it was fun to read ideas I'd concocted back in 2001 -- a girl PI novel (included murder scene outside of a natural foods co-op, hah!) and bits of a Hollywood news anchor revenge story. I'm never short of ideas, that's for sure.

Also, I came across the last draft of one of my GH finalling entries -- Do You Really Want to Haunt Me? I was sort of down on that book by the time I finished writing and revising it. By then, Jennifer Love Hewitt had just come on with her Ghost Whisperer series and then the movie Just Like Heaven came out. I thought I was not far enough ahead on the curve of girls/boy talking to spirits and/or dead folks.

But the voice is good in that story and the premise has a bit of a twist, including a family gift/curse. And you know what? I enjoyed rereading it.

Maybe enough time had passed that I could see it from a different angle. Whatever it was, I felt like the novel wasn't the troubled child I'd thought it to be.

Lately, I've been feeling that its making it into the Golden Heart finals was some kind of fluke, but maybe I've been wrong. And at the risk of sounding pompous or whatever, I think it's okay to like your work. It's okay to let other people like your work, too.

So, I'm going to accept its GH final with a simple thanks and not stress about the how and why. It's good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, five people (plus me) really like it!

And now do you see why it took me all day to clean my workspace? Too much to read. :)

2 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, whatEVER! Everything I've read of yours has been fab, fab, fab! I'm sure the haunting book is just as great. I can't wait till you're pubbed and all these backlist books get picked up ;)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

You're such a cheerleader, Dona... Not that I thought I sucked or anything, but thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home