Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Secret Life of Golden Heart Finalists, part II

So, it's the Wednesday after the GH announcements. The congratulations have been trickling in (so nice!) and my honey got me a card and flowers! I know... I can't believe it either. Last year, I was sadly lacking in bloomage; this year, he knows what it means to me.

Here's a photo with Jodi from Wisconsin, a lovely woman who dined with us before the ceremony in Reno. A pink orchid corsage would have been lovely... *sigh*

What a shock to make it into the Young Adult finals two years in a row. A lovely shock, but still. I'm proceeding with a way more realistic sense of what it means this year:

First -- A Golden Heart final is not a publishing contract. Most people sell without ever finalling in the GH.

Second -- Not everyone in the universe cares about the GH. Shocker, I know.

Third -- Not everyone will be happy that you are a finalist. The truth hurts.

Fourth -- Being a finalist is not an excuse to shirk writing duties! (Or to laze around reading endless emails related to finalling, dress shopping, taking the perfect photo.) You need to get your butt into your writing chair and do those revisions, queries, whatever.

So what *is* good about it?

After of learning of my final on Friday afternoon, I let myself say, "I am going to make it. I am going to make it in this tough business." I let myself believe it, let it sink in to my heart. I can do it.

So, the GH final silences my inner critic for awhile. The GH final tells me that I'm on the right path. (I don't know how far I have to travel, but damnit, I'm heading in a good direction.) The GH final gives me a boost of energy to work harder so I can write the best book I possible. That's what it's all about. And that, more than any contest final, is the prize.

**
And now a pre-Golden Heart Acceptance moment:

(Warning... enthusiastic punctuation ahead!!!)

Yay for Juli Heaton & Trish Milburn, two fellow chicks in the YA finals... Good job! Hello to Cherry Adair, chapter goddess with her Rita nom. Also, cheers to Marley Gibson on her sale to Puffin! And kudos to Alesia Holliday on her Anthology Rita final!! Hugs to the other Wild Cards who made it to the 2006 GH finals & those of you working so hard to travel your paths! Love to Ann Roth, Steve, and the gals of GSRWA! Thanks to the Chick Lit chapter with hugs for Diana Peterfreund, Simone Elkeles and Cari Ferrer.

Extra love to Pat White for her support & phone therapy... :) Big hugs to Missy Norris, Robin Wood, Sandi Holstein & Jen Hoffman, my fave critique buddies of all time. Much love to Dona Sarkar, the next big thing & YA critique goddess extraordinaire. You rock, chica!

Okay, they're playing the music in my head. I must cut myself off. Gushing this early in the morning is just plain scary. ;) Revisions await...

3 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I love it! You best be memorizing that speech becuse you will be giving it in July in front of Nora, Susan, Barbara, and the whole RWA royalty gang!

-Dona

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Especially the part about Dona being the next big thing! I never got to give my typed-up-glued-to-nice-color-coordinated-paper-with-a-flower-sticker speech last year. I had so many to thank... :)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Awwwww....thanks soooo much for the congrats and shout out, Heather...but CONGRATSSSSSSS to you, Ms. Double Finalist!!!! I posted in another section here on the day the announcement went out, but let me post here to tell you how proud I am to see you final not just once, but twice. I hope this brings MANY good things your way!

Hugs,
Marley = )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home