Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Rule of Six

In a "No Plotters Allowed" workshop at RWA Nationals, authors Patti Berg and Allison Brennan introduced the audience to the Rule of Six.

Apparently, if you get stuck in a scene or with your plot in general, you write down six possibilities, the sixth being the one that you should probably go with.

In my WIP, I know what happens *after* the next scene -- but I'm writing something that could go many directions. It's a paranormal... there's going to be chase... the heroine uses her wits to escape but can't hurt the pursuer because she loves him (when he's in his human form). Major problems!

My DH suggested the hero give her something that protects her... but what? Ahem... cue the Rule of Six.

You wanna know the really hard part? Settling down to write the six possibilities. I mean, what if I can't come up with the first five? What if number three is the best idea?

I'm sitting down to try the Rule. I'll report back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home