Thursday, December 08, 2005

Stories are Like...

When I first started writing, I thought that each story was a "baby" you birthed, raised, sent out into the world, hoped would make a decent living, etc.

Now, I'm starting to think that stories might be like dance partners. You pick one out across the crowded room in your mind and ask it to dance.

Some are so-so looking, but are good dancers. They surprise you by teaching you new moves, and when you're done, you can't believe the night is over because you had so much fun.

Some are hunky at first glance, but the poor clods can't dance a step. If you spend time partnering with them, you'll have to teach them to cha-cha-cha and tango and that could take forever.

But the thing is -- you can't tell from appearances -- you have to let the music begin and take a few steps together. Write a chapter, start a synopsis, check your partner out.

And there's nothing wrong with telling a story to sit the next song out so you can look for a better suited partner. It's your party and you can bail if you want to... well, within the first few songs. After that, you may already be married to the guy.

I guess as writers, we all like to think that our stories are all worth developing, and that with our skills, we should be able to whip any story into shape. But, looking at it from a time perspective -- would you rather start something that's going to be fun and moving, or something that will be drudgery?

Okay, you may want to flog me with your manuscripts that prove me wrong or accuse me of being super lazy, but I really think if I'm not feeling the passion for my story, no one else will either. If I have to manufacture the passion -- the reader can tell and so can I! Ugh.

There's plenty of hard work to come in the latter stages of writing a novel -- so why not have fun? Don't just love the one you're with. At least not at first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home