Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Resolutions vs. Goals

I hate resolutions, so you'd think my DH wouldn't ask me what my resolution is. Of course, he didn't. He's a resolution kind of guy.

So I just answered, "My resolution is to drink more water."

He didn't seem to think this was a very good resolution, but I'm about goals, not resolutions.

Goals are like dreams with a plan. Who said that? No clue, maybe it was Dr. Phil. But it's so true. My goal for 2006 is to write the best damn books I can.

To support the goal, I've started a "goal journal". In it, I'm going to write down what steps I took to accomplish the goal that day. I'm tracking page counts, word counts, planning time, brainstorming, workshops, books read, research done, and any other activity that contributes to making the goal a reality. And I imagine that on a day when I have nothing to write, the guilt will be a killer.

But more than guilt, I think a record of how hard I'm trying to improve my craft is going to be very motivational. Writing is a craft that is honed by practice, by action.

What are you doing to reach your goals this year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home