Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday in the Real World

So, I still haven't caught up on my sleep after the trip to ATL. Maybe it's just normal when you immediately have to jump back into work after a week-long conference trip where you basically:

A) Don't sleep 'cause you're too excited, or because you and your critique partner/roommate have waaaaaay too much to talk about. (Shh! Quiet time!)

B) Spend conference week constantly flat ironing your hair because of the humidity in the so-called air-conditioned hotel. (Yes, Dona and I had dueling flat irons.) Any time not spent flat ironing is spent obsessing about the need to flat iron. I know, right?

C) Eat strange and exotic foods from the Peachtree Mall and nibbles from receptions instead of real meals. You body knows nothing of time or appropriateness of food.

Actually, it's funny to have an appetite back after all this stress. Last night I caved and ate four Nutter Butters (the best commercial snack of all time) instead of the usual two. I'm slipping.

Speaking of food, I had a really memorable meal in Atlanta with my friends from Chicago North -- Flux YA author Simone Elkeles http://simoneelkeles.com and her group of merry friends and a couple of their agents. We ate at Hsu's restaurant (who knew they had good Chinese food in Atlanta?) and really had fun. Dona and I split noodles, and I had a great convo with Nadia, Simone's agent, who apparently knows my agent. It's a small world for these industry hotshots. :) Can I just say, I love, love, love Simone and it was so fun to hang out with her! Even better, Dona and I got to attend her and Nadia's workshop the next day and heckle her (not really) from the front row. What are friends for?

Another fun dinner was Saturday night before the Golden Hearts. Agency friend Jennifer joined me, Dona, and the Greater Seattle girls for dinner at Pacific Rim. Again, who knew about Atlanta and the Asian food? Anyway, we got Jennifer some spring rolls (before she started to gnaw on my elbow) and all was well. The girls surprised me with a red corsage, which really made me cry into my sushi. There are no friends like writer friends.

When Dona and I made it back to the hotel to change for the big night, another corsage was waiting for me -- the white roses from Pat White. I can't say enough about what a friend, mentor, supporter she has been for me. Thank God Chicago North has been kind enough to share her with me. I heart Pat.

Okay, so somehow this has turned into a recap post. So, I guess I'll just end with :

A) There was a chocolate fountain at the Golden Heart Reception. Alas, no romance writers cavorted within it. Disappointing, right?

B) My friends made me feel really special. Really, really freaking special.

C) The dress my Grammy helped pick out was beautiful. The shoes, while painful, were fabulous. I don't know if it was wise to lead off my speech complaining about them, though...

D) My critique partners back home are amazing and wonderful. And, Dona Sarkar http://donasarkar.blogspot.com is not only a great CP, she's a fashion goddess and stylist extraordinaire. (A woman who never irons!! How can this be?)

That's some of what happened in magical Atlanta. Okay, so most of it was about food. I have more stuff to tell you guys. I'll post later.

2 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Man you got to have dinner with a lot of agents! I'm jealous. :) I hung out with the Romance Divas most of the time. It was great meeting new people that I usually talk to online :)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

I bet the Romance Divas were awesome, Shelli! Did y'all crash the Harelquin party?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home