Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Heart of Gold



Okay, so you can totally Google me and read the good news. I won the Golden Heart for Best Young Adult Romance Manuscript at the National RWA Conference in Atlanta. Here I am with Simon Pulse author Jenn Echols after the ceremony, wearing the coveted charm around my neck. (Thanks to Stephanie Hale for the photo!)

Sadly, I have yet to buy a digital camera for my new place -- so I was stuck with a disposable version and a beautiful yet snap-happy critique partner Dona Sarkar. I promise to post those pictures as soon as they uh, get developed. So uncool, right?

Dona was so awesome as a roommate. Seriously, who else reminds a GH finalist to breathe? Who else leaps to their feet shouting, "It's you! It's You!" while you sit there in utter shock and (in your head) the room goes silent.

Who else comes up with the idea to handwrite *your* acceptance speech in case you might jinx yourself. Yeah, uh, last year, when I typed out the speech, pasted it to a pretty cardstock, decorated it with stickers? May have been a little jinxy...

It was a wonderful week spent in the company of so many fabulous, talented, resilient women. I'm so proud of Diana, Simone, Marley, Barb, and all the wonderful writers I know who are launching into their publishing careers full force. Remember, I knew you back when...

Oh, and in other news I got to meet my IDOL Meg Cabot. Yeah, um, total fan girl/stalker here. Again, uncool! But sometimes you just have to gush. It's good for the soul. Alas, no pictures of me with Meg -- which is probably good in case she wishes to press charges.

5 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

Awww, you're too sweet! I had the most amazing time ever!

Can't wait till next year :)

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations yet again, Heather! I can't wait to read your books - I know it won't be long before you're signing a contract!

Hope to see you again soon!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger stephhale said...

Heather~

Sorry, chiming in a little late here! You looked gorgeous that night and your speech was wonderful! Congrats again!

Steph

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Wow, thanks guys! And thanks for the awesome picture, Steph. This is the (seriously) BEST picture of me in all the stack. I have my eyes open (yay!) and I'm smiling (rare!). You should totally photog for Vanity Fair. :)

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Again...just incredibly happy for you and so proud to see you up on that big screen!!!! Great seeing you, hon! = )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home