Sunday, August 13, 2006

Kryptonite

Hey, y'all --

Well, I'm still at the end of chapter one. So, I haven't made much progress in the last few days. Been thinking about what Susan Squires said in Atlanta, that if you write paranormal characters, try to give them "kryptonite". Something that can disarm them. Make them vulnerable.

So, in trying to figure out what my magic girl's kryptonite is, I pose this question:

What is your kryptonite?

Mine is....

I'm not sure. Maybe dogs? Every time I see a cute one up at my summer job on the lake, I melt. I miss my dogs so much. I call it getting "dogstracted" -- I have to stop what I'm doing and go pet the pooch.

Oh, also Nutter Butters. The world could fall around me and I would be happily dunking NB's into good, cold milk.

So.... post your kryptonite! I won't use it against you, I promise...

4 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

Cute furry animals (I've been known to want to take home various ponies, puppies and kittens in the Greater Seattle area!)

A great pair of shoes (Ahem, spent a *tad* too much money on a pair of red lacy Miss Sixty sandals...but oh my god, they are AMAZING!)

Good food (This is the reason, I need to be at the gym every single day :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good book. Seriously, the world could fall apart around me, and I wouldn't notice. As my children have pointed out! Also, licorice (especially red and black eaten together).

Heather--huge congrats on the GH win!!!

Barrie

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Thanks, Barrie! Nice to see you here. Okay, you lurkers -- post your kryptonite!

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be predictable, or cliche, but my kryptonite has to be my kids. Hurt my kids and you hurt me twice as bad. That's my biggest vulnerability.

My weakness, however, has to be...hmmm, let me think....food. Yep, I'm right there with Dona on that one!

I was at Susan's workshop and picked up on the kryptonite thing, too. Man, that hit home. We can make our characters perfect and bigger than life, but we have to give them kryptonite to make our readers relate to and love them. Something important to keep in mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home