Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bright and Dark

Back into the writing again. This is a good thing, since most of July I sat at the keyboard, as uneasy as Bambi on ice.

So, I'm writing light. A light, confection with a dark, dark hero you are going to love. The girl gets to be the star (of course) and the redeeming factor for said dark hero. It's set in Seattle, with a magical world simmering underneath the surface of things. Urban fantasy, I guess -- although I've also heard the term "slipstream" to describe the parallel magic and real worlds coexisting.

I'm working hard not to put too much parental angst into this one, as looking back on my other YAs they all have parent issues galore. And I adore my folks! So, what's up with that?

I think it has to do with the theme of self-acceptance and transformation, that bridge you cross from childhood into adult life, and dealing with parental issues is part of that journey. I'm so glad I've dealt (mostly) with mine. As an adult, I have great relationships with my parents, which have come only through honesty and communication. And with the present challenges in my life, I'm so glad I have them to talk with.

I think it's true that if you don't know history, you're doomed to repeat it. That counts doubly when it comes to parental stuff. You have to know what is in their baggage so you can unpack your own.

Wow. This got deeper than just a discussion of a WIP. Anyway, I've got pages to write. I want to have this proposal done by the end of the month!

Happy writing!

4 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger Dona Sarkar-Mishra said...

I know what you mean Heather! You do have some parental angst in your stuff...but there always seems to be home. Like your heroines are defeinitely going to work it out with their parents...you just have no idea how that is going to happen.

:)

I have the same issue. With all the parental pressure and hatred in my books, you'd think my parents were ogres. Instead, they're pretty laid-back and chill :)

Hope the writing is going well. The new story sounds amazing. I want to see something!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Ahhh! Pressure! I just ended chapter one (with a huge hook, I might add) and I've got to make up some more rules in my magic world. Then, all will be flowing once again.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You have to know what is in their baggage so you can unpack your own." What an amazing concept! This is sooo true. So, with all of your wisdom, answer this for me: what if parents don't acknowledge their baggage (i.e. won't talk about it)? How then do you unpack your own?

I love that you've made me think tonight.

Good luck with this book, it sounds intriguing!

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Hmmm, that's a hard one, Kelli. Often, as you unpack your own baggage (due to traumatic life events or growth or whatever) they will come forward with stories of what they went through. That's what's happened with my folks. So, your pain becomes cathartic for theirs. Weird, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home