Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dorky Bios

I had to write a new author's bio for the Emerald City Writers' Conference, which is coming up in October.

I'm actually presenting a pitching workshop along with multi-published and RT award-winning author Pat White. See how cool Pat's stuff sounds? Well if you know Pat, you'd know how cool I think she is. Just last week she sent me this cool carnelian bracelet (for strength). I heart Pat White. And she's got the publishing creds, sure 'nuff.

As for my bio, I ended up writing something about the GH award and some factoids about things I love, ie. puppies, Heath Ledger and Nutter Butters. So uncool, right? But then again, if you know me, you know I live for the dorky stuff.

I mean, who else was putting on strawberry Bonne Belle lip gloss at the Golden Hearts? Who else recently wrote a letter in the form of a crossword puzzle? Who else goes to the movies alone on purpose? Yeah, um... big dork here raising her hand.

But here's the thing I've learned -- claim your dorkiness. Embrace it. How else (especially if you write YA) are you going to remember how it felt when you tried to HIDE IT back in the day?

*****

Okay, I've just reread this post. It's officially completely dorky. See, there is no escape.

6 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may call it dorkiness, but I call it the uniqueness that make you YOU, and the reasons why we all love you so much. I'd much rather hang out with someone who embraces her inner dork than someone who tries to hide it. Then it's just sad.

-Kelli (a fellow dork)

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Shannon McKelden said...

But, we love you, dorky...I mean, Heather. :-) Your dorkiness makes you fun to be around! Can't wait for Emerald City!!
Shannon

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Okay, I feel so much better knowing you love the dorky version of me. It's so hard playing the uber-cool ice queen I project all the time. Yeah, um... not. Did you see me trying to fix my sandal strap in the glass elevator in ATL. Yeah... like a hundred people probably saw up my skirt. So uncool, even with cute undies. :)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger wilddunz said...

Excuse me: puppies, Heath Ledger and Nutter Butters= totally cool.

~Cindy (a fellow YA writer cruising the blogs)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Yay, Cin! I'm officially cool. I knew it deep down. ;)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

There is NOTHING I hate more than writing bios of myself. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate ... I mean, really. I haven't done enough, haven't learned enough, and haven't seen enough.

And yet, one has to make it sound like one has done all those unachievable things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home