Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Inspiration by the Cup

I'm thinking today about our good friend who is opening a coffee stand in incredibly java-saturated Seattle. He's amazing, this friend of mine.

First, he did all the research he could, including working at a running coffee business and going to (didn't know they had these) coffee shows, where he learned the ins and out of good joe. He got a business plan, investors, bank loans and built the stand. In a few months, he was ready to open for business.

And then he got hit by a truck.

Actually, the stand got hit by a truck. A Salvation Army truck. It backed into his stand, causing thousands of dollars worth of damage.

But to his credit, my friend sucked it up, started to rebuild his coffee stand knowing the insurance money was months away in coming. He did the work himself, down to the drywall and painting. He refused to let a setback like a runaway charity truck get him down. And he opens in a few short weeks.

I'm touched by his dedication to his dream. In this world of "why me" he didn't waste time complaining, he went about his business and got the job done.

And so, not to get all rah-rah on you today -- but what excuse is there for us not to make things happen for ourselves? Not to attack our writing goals without reservations?

After all, there's no truck anywhere near my computer. :)

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Inspiring post. I hope he makes scads of money. And judging by how many people I saw drinking coffee out there when I visited my sister, that shouldn't be too hard.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Yeah, he's going to do really well. And to think my DH and I said, "What? Seattle needs another coffee stand?" But what do we know. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home