Sunday, August 28, 2005

Boone's Hot Tub

My dog has a hot tub. Okay, it's not a hot tub, but he thinks it is. Check out this cute picture of him playing in it! Not that I'm biased or anything... but he's sooooo cute.

I spent the weekend working on stuff around the house, but I'm planning to hit the book hard on Monday. I've finally got goals and motivations set up (have to do this after I've written a few pages) and now, if I can stop tinkering with the opening, I'll be a happy writer.

Now a question for my readers (okay, Trish and Marley -- haha) what do you think is the hardest part of beginning a story?

Have a good Sunday and take a clue from Boone -- don't forget to play!

3 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Trish Milburn said...

A couple of things -- Getting just the right opening paragraph that grabs the reader and compels them to keep reading. Another is the fear that I can convey the great story in my head on paper, that it'll lose something in the journey from gray matter to computer screen.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Ooh, I know what you mean about that first paragraph. I'm famous for rewriting my opening tons of times in search of a real grabber.

But when you find it... it's like ahhhhh. (Picture the Nestea Plunge!) Geez, remember that?

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Marley Gibson said...

Oh, I'm totally with Trish. Getting that opening line and first paragraph is the most work. I'm struggling with it at the moment. My agent tells me to make it sing...so I'm practicing my scales. LOL! I'm such a stickler for The Hero's Journey that I want to start with showing The Ordinary World before the heroine goes off on her journey, but sometimes I put too much backstory in. So, for me...it's making sure the beginning is straight to the point and pulls the reader in.

Marley = )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home