Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Have you ever seen a lab look like a sharpei?

On Friday, Boone and I went out to throw veggie scraps to the neighbor's cows. The little pup is still afraid but fascinated by bovines, so he hung back a few feet from the barbed wire fence. After I dumped the bucket of treats, the two of us made our way back down the trampled weed path to the yard.

And then, when we went inside, Boone's snout went all lumps and bumps. Of course, I thought this was some kind of reaction to his broken tooth from Thursday. The poor guy had snapped one of his canines on one of the myriad chewing choices around the yard. Metal chairs, firewood, lawnmowers... you name it, the kid tries to eat it.

I called the vet, who calmly assured me it was probably a spider bite and then told me to give Boone some Benaydryl. So I did. And the puffiness got worse before it got better.

Picture this tiny lab trying to play fetch (because physically he feels fine) only able to see through the tiny slits where his eyes used to be. I totally cried. I'm just that sort of sap, I guess.

He's all better now, and in a way, he seems more lovey to me. Maybe he realizes I'm the one who's going to take care of him when he gets sick. Or maybe he's just becoming part of the pack.

In writing news -- got to page 100 on my WIP and then promptly killed a three page scene from the first chapter. So, technically, I made my page goal for the week.

Trying to move forward with a "spirit of adventure" instead of focusing on the tough business things right now. New ideas are tugging at my sleeve, but I've forced myself to take a few notes and then get back to work. Funny how the bigger-better-faster ideas always pop for me between page 50-75.

Anyway, this week I'll try for twenty five pages on my WIP. I'm well into the plot and subplots, so I have lots of middle to write.

What are your goals for the week?

3 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger Marley Gibson said...

I hope the Boone-ster's doing better! And whoooohoooo on your progress in the new WIP!!

= )

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Young Adult Authors said...

Thanks, Marley

He is back to normal. :) New pictures soon!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Diana Peterfreund said...

I want a puppy! Waaaaaaaaaahhhh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home