Sunday, December 10, 2006

Thought for the Year...?

So, this morning I had brunch in a great little place near my home. The kind of place you can order a Bloody Mary and rock out to classics on the junkbox in the adjoining bar. The kind of place that serves crispy waffles drowning in butter and syrup and pretty good biscuits and gravy for a city diner.

Ironically, it was in that same place that my last major relationship began.

For a long time, I thought I'd have to make out in the bathroom hallway with a boy to banish the ghosts of romance past, but I've had good luck three out of three times and made it through meals without a single tear or sniffle, even.


The amazing thing was this morning my gaze lit on a local newsletter near the counter. There in black ink on recycled brown paper was something I've believed for my whole life, but especially this year. It said:

"People of poor character tend to blame their choices on circumstances. Ethical people make good choices regardless of circumstances. If they make enough good choices, they begin to create better conditions for themselves." -- John C. Maxwell

Hello? Isn't that what I've been living all summer? You can't blame your unhappy life on the people and conditions around you. You're still you no matter what the circumstances! You have to keep doing the right thing and eventually your circumstances will change.

I love that little diner. Ghosts or no ghosts, I'm going to keep going back. If not for the awesome hashbrowns, then for the little winks from the universe.

Hugs!

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I liked the spirit of this post--especially "winks from the universe." It's been quiet here for a while...have you retired the blog?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home